Ancient Celts believed that the barrier or membrane between Earth and the faerie realm was thinnest during this time of year. This allowed the fae to easily cross over. The people especially feared malevolent faeries who were believed to spoil stored foods, kill livestock, and steal children. As such, communities used various methods to keep evil faeries at bay, including carving scary faces into trees and vegetables. This tradition is still carried on during contemporary Samhain, although now it’s more for fun than to keep any wicked nature spirits away.
If you’re carving pumpkins to craft Jack O’Lanterns during Samhain, save the seeds to bake and enjoy Roasted Pumpkin Seeds as a treat as well as to attract financial abundance.
Baking, cooking or otherwise preparing food for magickal purposes is recipe magick. This magick as no less potent than any other spellwork. As such, prepare this Roasted Pumpkin Seeds recipe mindfully, thinking of your magickal intentions during each and every step.
SAMHAIN ROASTED PUMPKIN SEEDS
- raw pumpkin seeds in the shell
- extra virgin oil oil
- sea salt
- Preheat oven to 165° C (325° F).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper to prevent the pumpkin seeds from sticking.
- Wash your pumpkin seeds and then pat them dry.
- Toss them with only enough extra virgin olive oil to very lightly coat them.
- Sprinkle with a bit of sea salt, to taste. Toss again.
- Spread them in a single layer on the lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 – 45 minutes, until the pumpkin seeds are lightly browned.
- Allow to completely cool and enjoy your Roasted Pumpkin Seeds!