Mabon is the second of the three Pagan harvest festivals. It’s a time to celebrate Earth’s abundance and to show gratitude for her gifts. As such, this sabbat is also known as Pagan Thanksgiving.
Apples are so plentiful at this time of year that they’ve become a symbol of Mabon. So, while typically associated with love magick, apples are also a powerful ingredient in abundance spells. Baking and sharing these Apple Muffins with family and friends is a thoughtful way to celebrate Mabon and to draw continued abundance to all of you during the upcoming year.
Baking, cooking or otherwise preparing food for magickal purposes is recipe magick. This magick as no less potent than any other spellwork. As such, prepare this Apple Muffins recipe mindfully, thinking of your magickal intentions during each and every step.
MABON APPLE MUFFINS
- 1 cup peeled, chopped apples (about 1 medium apple)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons raw sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 190° C (375° F) and grease or line a 12-section muffin tin.
- Peel and chop your apple. Immediately after, toss it in the lemon juice to keep it from turning brown. Set the chopped apples aside.
- Mix the dry ingredients together. In a medium-sized bowl, stir all-purpose flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and ground cinnamon until well blended.
- In another bowl, whisk the milk, beaten egg, and melted butter together.
- Pour over the flour mixture and stir until well-mixed.
- Gently fold in the chopped apples.
- Spoon into the greased or lined muffin tin, filling each section 2/3 full.
- Optional: sprinkle the muffin tops with the raw sugar.
- Bake in preheated oven on middle rack for 20 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool the Apple Muffins for 5 minutes and turn out onto a wire rack. Then, allow them to cool completely.
Makes 12 Apple Muffins.